Download the Sample Employee Satisfaction Survey
The DecisionWise Employee Satisfaction Survey contains a subset of research-based anchor questions that are designed to measure overall employee satisfaction. Other questions measure the factors that drive engagement and satisfaction in an organization. The survey is customizable to the needs of every organization. The following sample only shows a limited number of the 50 total items found in the complete survey.
Measuring Employee Satisfaction
Employees need to have their basic needs met or engagement will suffer. Many of the survey items measure concepts that impact employee satisfaction. Some of these items include:
- I have received the training I need to do my job well.
- I have the tools and resources I need to do my job well.
- My supervisor treats people with fairness and respect.
- I clearly understand what my supervisor expects of me.
- My supervisor gives me regular feedback on how I am doing.
- There are opportunities for my own advancement in this organization.
- We work effectively across departments and functions.
- This organization communicates well with all employees about
what is going on.
We find some interesting correlates when looking at satisfaction survey questions. For example, a low score on the item “I have the tools and resources I need to do my job well,” is often identified as a negative driver of engagement.
Open-ended Employee Satisfaction Questions
Open-ended comments provide a wealth of qualitative information and provide detail on the reasons behind employee engagement survey scores. We recommend using two simple open-ended questions:
- What are the greatest strengths of our organization?
- What are the areas that need the most improvement in our organization?
Our research shows that using more than two open-ended questions significantly lengthens the time it takes to complete the survey and doesn’t yield that much more good qualitative information.
Using Anchor Questions to Measure Employee Satisfaction
Measuring the satisfaction levels of employees is a practice that has been refined at DecisionWise since 1996. DecisionWise uses a set of six anchor questions to measure the level of satisfaction in the workplace and additional questions to identify the drivers that lead to satisfaction. Some of these satisfaction anchor questions include:
- It is easy to become absorbed in my job.
- I would recommend Sample Company as a great place to work.
- My job is stimulating and energizing.